Everyone needs a few essential classic wardrobe items to create a timeless wardrobe. I believe that from these basic items, you can create a perfect look for almost any occasion. If you missed my detailed piece on dressing for smart-casual check it out here. These essential wardrobe items do not go out of style, can be paired with almost anything and offer a little diversity for your wardrobe. If you’re looking to recreate your current wardrobe, you need to start with these items, they are the building blocks for creating your unique new look.
I believe that these are the perfect pieces to invest in. They could set you back a little more than the rest of your closet, but they are definitely worth it. These classics will last you for years to come, so make sure that you wash and care for them correctly. These timeless pieces are designed to see you through job interviews, dinner dates, weddings, work events and so much, much more.
LBD or Little Black Dress
For year’s our mothers, aunts and grandmothers have talked about the Little Black Dress. There is a reason for this and it is also the reason I’m mentioning this timeless wardrobe item first. The LBD is the most important and valuable item you should own. Not necessarily valuable in the sense of cost-wise, but most certainly valuable in the sense that it should be your go-to outfit for any occasion.
The perfect LBD should feature a classic cut and fall around your knee area. Try to go for a piece which does not show off too much cleavage. Fashion and film idol Audrey Hepburn made the LBD famous. The perfect LBD should be able to fit into any occasion from high-tea with the girls to dinner with the company and even a night at the theatre.
- You can easily turn your LBD into the perfect smart casual or business casual outfit by pairing it with pearls, a blazer and a pair of kitten heels.
- Bring the sexy back on date night by pairing your LBD with stilettos and a stunning necklace.
- Business meeting over lunch? No problem, simply wear a white dress shirt over your LBD to turn your outfit into something completely new. Pair this with a light pelleted handbag and matching shoes and you’re ready for the world.
Classic Dress Shirt in White
Without a doubt, every woman needs to have a white dress shirt in the closet. This classically essential clothing item will be your ultimate best friend when it comes to dressing for interviews or even looking classically polished for a dinner date. The most important thing you need to keep in mind when choosing the right dress shirt for your wardrobe is quality. Because you’ll be using the shirt often, you will want to make sure that it can withstand regular washing.
Additionally, because you are going to buy an item that will last for a while, you need to make sure that it is tailored for your body shape. Through tailoring, you will most certainly avoid awkward gaps and pulling as you move. Cotton is a great soft and durable fabric which is made to last. Getting a great quality shirt can be difficult and you need to be prepared to spend quite a bit on a decent one, but they are totally worth every cent.
- This ultimate wardrobe building block can be paired with classically tailored trousers and a blazer for that perfect business casual look.
- For a more relaxed look, pair your dress shirt with a statement necklace and a pair of pumps.
- To achieve an entirely flawless casual look, throw on a pair of nice jeans and new sneakers and you’re all set for a day with the family.
The Effortlessly Classic Blazer
You may have noticed that I mentioned a blazer in both the Little Black Dress and Dress Shirt categories of this blog. That is because this is the ultimate classical clothing items that every woman needs to own. Additionally, whether you chose an oversized variant or a more classical shrunken kind, both are highly fashionable at this stage. If you’re not up for chasing fashion trends, I suggest you opt for a classical perfectly fitting blazer.
Finding the perfect blazer may be quite a task. The right fit blazer would sit on your wrists. The shoulders should also have enough room to allow you to wear layers under. Always opt for a blazer which features a fitting front. This means that the blazer would not pull around your chest area. A great piece of advice I can offer is that if you find the right length but feel the blazer is loose over the chest is to get hold of a good tailor. While the process may be a little on the expensive side, it’s absolutely worth it.
- Dresses and blazers go well together ALWAYS.
- Get ready to paint the town red in a stunning pair of jeans, a colourful shirt, and a blazer. Finish the look with a stunning purse and a pair of heels.
- Feeling a little Geek-ish? Try wearing your fitted blazer over a t-shirt and jeans.
Let me help you find the perfect classically timeless wardrobe items. Contact me today for a one-on-one consultation which will leave you dressed to impress and feeling motivated to take on any event.